as I was cooking lunch (whilst simultaneously starring in my own imaginary cooking show, where I am a fabulous hybrid of Jamie Oliver & Nigella Lawson-- in talent, that is, not body parts and/or facial features-- though I wonder what that
would look like? no doubt it's on the internet somewhere) I started pondering things that I never knew I needed to know before, except that now I'd thought of them I also knew I wouldn't be content until I knew the definitive answer. things like, "do babies cry in the womb?" because, y'know, nine times out of ten, the nanosecond they're born, they're wailing like it's the end of the world-- which isn't the case at all
, is it, because their world is still pretty damn new. ANYWAY. according to the god of definitive answers (internet version) -- better-known as Mr Google, YES THEY DO. also, apparently I'm not the first person BY FAR to have pondered this over the preparation of a baked potato*. though possibly not everyone else was thinking about it while baking potatoes on their imaginary cooking show, however. ALL THE SAME, GOOD TO KNOW.
in other news:
- Miss almost-16 (next week! how the fuck did THAT happen?) has her very first part-time job, and last night she came home clutching her very first paycheque. I'm ridiculously proud of her. ♥
- we recently had a family getaway to Akaroa, where we stayed on the Kokopu Estate in Kokopu Cottage
. omg you guys, I swear it was the best holiday I have ever been on in my LIFE. the cottage was gorgeous-- rustic & charming, & the location & surroundings were pure magic. no phone, no tv-- just trees & native bush & birdsong & nightskies so filled with stars that it made me a little weepy. I want to go back there a thousand times & just breathe it all in. naturally, I took a metric fuckload of photos & you can see some of them below, & the rest can be seen here
, should you be so inclined.
- we've all seen this video of JC singing, haven't we? just in case:
I have no idea if that embedding code will even work, so just in case it doesn't: [ here
. ] sigh, JC, sigh. please keep singing. you should never have stopped in the first place, you asshole.
- CHRIS EVANS. am I right, or am I right? I'm right, aren't I? yeah, I thought so.
THAT IS ALL. if you'll excuse me, I'm off to google, "can humans peel their own skin off if they get a little bit too hot because the temperature is abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous? if so, how? also, how easy is it to slip back on again later?" YEAH, I LOVE THE INTERNET.
* relatedly, I'm also not the first person BY FAR to wonder, "do vegetables feel pain?", a question that occurred to me as I sat eating the aforementioned potatoes. in short: the jury's still out on that one, but I'd like to take a moment to apologise to my lunch, just in case.